INTEGRATED NATURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM WITH INDIGENOUS PEOPLES IN CENTRAL AMERICA (MRN PROGRAM)
Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Belize
2017 – 2020
Contribution to the Good Living of Indigenous Peoples and peasant communities through the use, management and conservation of natural resources and cultural management of ecosystems in the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor (MBC).
The NRM Program was developed in the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor and prioritized with community-based and indigenous partner organizations of the executing organizations ACICAFOC and CICA/Sotz’il.
It was implemented in Central America, in the countries of Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.
Its aim was to improve the productive bases and living conditions through the knowledge and know-how of peasants and Indigenous Peoples through the conservation and cultural use of ecosystems.
The program was implemented thanks to the support of the German government, through the German Development Bank (KfW for its acronym in German).
ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT:
- Four components were implemented with lines of work that will guide the actions established through sub-projects on:
- Forest use, management and conservation
- Integrated and cultural management of ecosystems
- Strengthening of indigenous and community economies
- Organizational and institutional strengthening
- PROTECTION AND CONSERVATION OF PROTECTED NATURAL RESOURCES
- Protection and conservation of areas of cultural and/or ecological importance
- Recovery and regeneration of degraded areas
- INTEGRATED AND ADAPTED MANAGEMENT AND CULTURAL USE OF NATURAL RESOURCES
- Strengthening and recovery of the cultural use of natural resources
- Improvement of food security
- Strengthening and establishment of indigenous traditional production systems
- Sustainable forest access, use and management
- IMPROVEMENT OF THE TARGET GROUP’S ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND CULTURAL BASES AND STRUCTURES
- Strengthening of territorial security
- Implementation of productive initiatives to improve the social bases of the target groups